Sunday, January 21, 2007

Lazy Sunday run

When I woke up this morning, the first thing I noticed was bright sunshine streaming through the windows. When I went out to get the paper, it was cold and crisp, with not a lot of wind. Perfect for a run. "In a bit," I though, "Let me start the laundry, pick up a bit, then I'll go."

But then Hub left for church, and I got involved rotating mattresses and changing sheets and otherwise not getting ready for a run. By the time Hub got back from church, washing his car of a week's worth of grime, and stopping by the grocery store, it was too late for me to go out before they had to leave again for the hockey game. TDP DinoBoy was amusing himself in his room with his array of lightsabers and Star Wars transformers (more than meets the eye!), and I really felt like just not running.

When the boys got back from their game -- the rest of the team signed a hockey puck for Elder Child as a get-well gift --- I still had no desire to go out and run. And it was even nicer and brighter out - probably the nicest part of the day. I'd spent the afternoon playing Bookworm online in between loads of laundry (7 altogether, not including sheets and pillowcases!), and watching the Saints turn the ball over and over and over. I snoozed on the couch for a bit, and right about the time Hub got up to fix dinner, I decided if I didn't hit the streets immediately, I was going to be faced with 9 miles on the treadmill. And if I was faced with 9 miles on the treadmill, I wasn't going to get it done.

So after I threw the last load of laundry in, I changed into shorts, a long-sleeved tech shirt and a short-sleeved shirt over that. I picked up the Garmin and set Nano-Mark for 90 minutes. And I took off. The sun was nearly setting, so the sky was a nice orangey color, with streaks of clouds in the sky. The wind was a bit brisker than I'd hoped for, but it wasn't cold by any means. I took a slightly different route than I'd planned, and finished out 9 miles in 1:35. Nano-Mark thinks I ran 9.54 miles -- shh, don't tell him I didn't really go that far! The funny thing is the calories burned on the Garmin and the calories burned according to Nano-Mark were off by 1 calorie. And I got to hear Paula Radcliffe again, congratulating me on my longest run to date. Go me.

So now I just finished dinner (two sausage and egg breakfast tacos courtesy of Hub -- yes, we had breakfast for dinner again), and now it's time for a quick shower before I fold the last load of laundry and get the boys ready for bed. I finished 99% of my scheduled mileage for the week, and am up to 74 miles for the month. And we still have more than a week to go! Yippee!

I'm hopeful that this week brings a lot of excitement and a lot of changes. I'll let you know more of what's up as soon as I do!

1 comment:

Downhillnut said...

Way to get the laundry done AND eventually get out there!