Tuesday, January 30, 2007

and she didn't drown!

the runner, she went swimming today! and she didn't drown!

actually it wasn't so much swimming as it was learning to breathe in through my mouth, out the nose with the face underwater. Then some gliding, breathing in through my mouth, out the nose. then some gliding, breathing in through my mouth, out the nose, with my head turned to the side. then some gliding with some kicks. then, gliding, count to three, start kicking, count to three, breathe, stroke, stroke, come up, applause. Do it again.

Very beginning stuff, for a very beginning swimmer. Our instructor is a wonderful little undergrad boy who is very patient, very helpful and exactly what we need. And now I smell like chlorine, even though I showered. And I'm very glad I ran 3.1 miles with NanoMark this morning, because I can tell that I will have NOTHING left after I put the boys to bed tonight. But, hey, I got in the pool!

Baby steps, baby steps. Even with baby steps, constant forward motion will eventually get us to where we're going.

6 comments:

Nancy Toby said...

little undergrad boy ... heh heh heh

WAY TO GO!!

greyhound said...

Hey, I was right there doing the total immersion drills and learning how to float, rotate and breathe only two years ago. Baby stepped all the way to a half ironman. Hopefully even further this year. Keep on stepping.

Una said...

This is great! I'm so proud of you for tackling this! You'll be amazed at how quickly you progress!

Silly Old Bear said...

Swimmom!

The Stretch Doc said...

Just found your blog..Totally awesome you are in the pool!! I have found patience is the key, as I have only been swimming about 3 years and not consistently..

you are my newest Kool Texas blogger!!!

rockon` and have a great day!!

Vickie said...

Keep at it and before you know it--you'll be swimming! Good job.