Saturday, September 02, 2006

Negative splits, pt II

Just so we know yesterday was not a fluke, I pulled negative splits again today. Even though I felt like I was dying. OK, not really, but it was much more humid than it let on when I first went out the door. I procrastinated getting out the door this morning because Hub left for the Longhorn game (HOOK EM!) at 6:30, which meant I had the whole bed, nay, the whole HOUSE to myself and who am I to look that gift horse in the mouth. So I had to savor it. But then I realized that I still had to get in a run and even though it's September already, let's face it folks, North Texas is still damn hot, even in the morning. And if I didn't beat the sun, I'd be toast. Literally. Because I am such a delicate flower, y'know...

anyhoo, for those of you not corrupted by Runners World online and Running Times and this crazy obsession/sickness/hobby of running (too late, Ben, you're in now), negative splits are when you run the second half of your run faster than the first half. It means you didn't go all out and die in the first mile. It's a good thing. It means you saved some for the finish, and as my 11 year-old says, hung back from the crowd, but then juked 'em in the end. Yesterday's splits were a result of a very slow first mile, I think, but check out these:

10:39
10:08
10:00
9:37

This is really close to last year's October times, when I was in much better condition, gearing up for Marine Corps Marathon, and about 10-11 pounds lighter (I think I went to MCM start line at 156, maybe?), so I'm pretty happy with it. Of course, I had to work for that 9:37. Arms pumping, elbows in, hands cupped lightly, thinking about the breathing (step, breath, step, step, step, breath, repeat). Lots went into that mile, but it was worth it.

So yeah, four miles. All this week's mileage is done, except for that little detail of a 16-miler tomorrow. I'm heading out in a bit and getting my gatorade powder so I can go out with my double-barreled water belt (looks like this) instead of my single belt. I prefer the single (and of course mine is orange, would you expect anything else??) because it's not as heavy and it sits better, but if I use that I'll have to loop around and looping is not good on the longer runs for me. I have to go out half the distance in one direction so I have no choice but to finish. If i loop, I have to talk myself out of quitting after one or cutting it short. So, I'll have my gatorade, with some added salt, and the Garmin and the iPod are charging, so I'll be good to go.

Later now. My yard guy is here, and I need a chocolate PB smoothie, and then i must pick up the DinoBoy for skate lessons here in about an hour. Then a short trip to Target, and lunch with my cousin. That should do me for the day! Except I heard yesterday from DinoBoy that his toy bunnies were having a birthday party. And I was invited. Cool.

1 comment:

Tiggs said...

nice negs!! :)