Friday, February 02, 2007

happy friday!

someone noticed today that I seemed to have an extra spring in my step, or that I was up to something... yep. I'm on to starting a new phase of my life, that's what I'm up to.

Remember when I posted this back in November? And I said I needed to re-align my life? this is another step toward that re-alignment. It may seem that on the surface it's a move in the wrong direction, because there will be some initial discomfort, if not outright pain. But in the long run, in the next 12-18 months or so, there will be a payoff and it will have been worthwhile. I believe this with all of my being.

I have resigned my position at the university where I attended graduate school, where I've been working since I was 24 years old and newly married (2 weeks married, actually!). I am taking a position as a consultant for the software company whose product I've used at work for the last 6+ years. I will be traveling 100% -- that means I will leave my home either on Sunday evening or Monday morning, and return on Thursday night. My husband and in-laws will have to pick up the slack (not that there's a lot of slack there, but there *will* be changes in our family life). But no longer will i have the daily 30-mile drive into Dallas proper. No longer will i have the frustrations of being stuck in rush-hour traffic from 5:00 until well past 6:30. No longer will I be burdened with tons of responsibilities and little influence and/or control over my work environment. Will it be easy? Hell, no. I'm not naive enough to think that it will be. But I have the full support of my husband, who may have to re-arrange his work schedule to be more available, but he's been ready to do that for a long time now. And i have my in-laws as supreme back-ups -- it's not like the kids aren't over there for dinner 3-4 times a week as it is right now. And the kids love being there, and I'm sure that they'll be well-taken care of and well-loved by Dad and Grandma and Grandpa in my absence.

But it's a start, a start that in a few months' time will allow us more freedom to do the things that as a family we need to do. After I pay my dues travelling (and who's to say that it won't be something that works for us? I've had many long discussions with a friend of mine who has done this for a long time and she has kids the same ages as my kids, and it works fine for them), I can transition into a job that allows me to work from home. on a flexible schedule. My skillset will increase dramatically just in the next 3-6 months, I know that for a fact. And I'll see something different and force myself to stretch and to grow.

Will I be able to continue with the base training for my sprint tri in June? I'm counting on it, baby. Away from the kids 4 days a week is going to be hard, but if I'm not working, I'll have only one other thing to take my time, and that will be the training. I'll be in hotels -- i hear tell that most of those have swimming pools... and treadmills... and stationary bikes. And on Fridays, when the kids are in school until 3:00 PM, I'll have a minimum of 6 hours to run long or ride long or otherwise train.

It's the right thing to do at this point in time. And if i end up making a mistake, which I don't think I am, then I can always re-assess and move forward in a new direction. Isn't that what makes life fun?

ORN -- I'm here at the gym on campus for a quick 3-miler with NanoMark on a treadmill here. Or maybe the track upstairs -- it's 6 laps to a mile. Depends on what NanoMark prefers! :)

2 comments:

Una said...

Good for you, C! As you said it's a temporary pain, and how lovely for your in-laws and children that they can have extra time together! These will be great memories for them.

The opportunity sounds wonderful. Congratulations!

Vickie said...

Good luck on your new venture! You are lucky you have this opportunity, and I hope it works for you. I'm sure you will work things out with training and all, and as you said, it might be just the turninig point you need to achieve your IM dream.