Wednesday, November 06, 2013

Wellness Wednesday: The Bucket List

Make a list in your journal of at least 10 things that you would like to do. Consider this your Bucket List.

ahhh, the Bucket List.  I've thought about this on occasion over the years. I've put together a race bucket list, I've made a travel bucket list, and I've even checked off a couple of them. But I've never done a overall-real-life-real-deal bucket list. Until now. 

What's interesting is that fully half of the items on this list end up being fitness-related, or at least require a higher-than-the-average-bear level of activity and training and physical preparation. Luckily for me I have somehow fallen into company with a band of insane people who have either done the things on this list, have it on their own list, and/or would love nothing more than to help me reach these goals. It's kinda awesome, I'm not even gonna lie. It also makes this a little dicey to post, because these people are self-appointed "Dream-makers" and might start drawing up training plans and working out logistics to make this stuff happen next month (You think I'm kidding. I AM NOT.  But they would be there supporting me and crewing me and preparing me, basically surrounding me with that Bubble of Love every step so it would be okay. FALSE. It would be AWESOME!).

However, for the foreseeable future, these are going to stay on the bucket list, and not make the leap to an actual goal with a timeframe and a plan to execute yet, just because I'm not quite ready to put the time, energy, or resources required into making them a reality.  YET. Still am fully expecting to check them off this list, just not in the plan for the next 12-18 months.  Some won't be a reality for longer than that, and that's okay. 

Also, I chose to leave off the list things that rely on other people doing stuff. As much as I would love to have "watch my kid on a Broadway stage," on my list, that's on him to do, not anything I can control (although, how cool would that be?). What made the cut is purely stuff that I have some modicum of control over, things that I have dreamed about, that I can plan and control, that I can decide when it's time to make it a reality.

So, without further ado, here we go: 
  1. Hike across the Grand Canyon 
  2. Ride a bicycle across Texas
  3. Walk across Scotland 
  4. Hike the Appalachian Trail
  5. Complete an IronMan-distance triathlon
  6. Celebrate my 50th wedding anniversary on a beach in Puerto Vallarta
  7. Cruise around the world, with a stop at every continent
  8. See a game at all 30 MLB parks in one season 
  9. Watch my team win the World Series 
  10. Fund a scholarship or academic building in my family's name
William Wallace's castle in Scotland. I want to go back and see more of this amazing country. 
What's on YOUR bucket list?  When it's time for me to start checking this stuff off, which one will you do with me? 

No comments: