Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Year-End Review, pt. 2

So, the other thing to do before wrapping up 2008 (yes, I'm behind, I've been on vacation, m'kay? it's kinda tough to get back into the groove after the week I've had) is to do the objective summary of the mileage I did this year. I've done the subjective grading of myself against my goals, and now it's time to see the numbers. The numbers do not lie, and I know they're not as good as I had wanted them to be. For the first time since I started training, I did not hit 1000 miles for the year.

Here we go, with comparisons from 2007 in parentheses:

Total miles for 2008: 894 (1001)
Average miles/month: 75 (91)
Average miles/week: 17.1 (21)
Highest weekly mileage: 37 (35)
Highest month: December, 102 (Sept, 123)
Lowest month: July, 50 (May, 38)

I don't have my 2006 numbers handy, or I'd throw those out, too, but I think the trend and difference between this year and last year is clear. The lack of a full marathon definitely affected my motivation to get out and run some days. The other thing in play is that with the walk training for AvonWalk, my mileage did not tally up as much as it would have had it been a running race.

While I'd like to have some hard numbers on my weight for this year, I don't. And really, though, I don't think it matters, since I weigh now exactly what I did at the beginning of the year. Despite the fact that I had an unexplained gain in the middle of the year, I am the same weight that I was at this time last year. I didn't diet, I didn't deprive myself of anything, and I maintained. Hmm. Not sure where to go with that one. I still want to get down to a "fighting" weight, but I'm certain that dieting alone isn't going to get me there. I think I'm just going to have to be thoughtful about what I eat, making sure to fuel my performances adequately and allow for recovery after working out without overindulging. The workouts will continue, and they will diversify, too, as I get back into triathlon after my spring races. I'll have more on my specific race goals later in the week. For now, it's time for bed!

No comments: