Wednesday, January 21, 2009

still here, still running

sounds familiar, huh? Long run of 18 miles on Saturday really beat me up while it was happening -- we apparently took the first 9 miles at a 10:00/mile clip, which I paid for dearly in the last 4 miles. Ended up having to do 5/1 intervals and plan for a walk break in the last two miles just to get through it, but I did, and the total time for the run, including stops at water stations to regroup was 3:30:51. So, I'm still projecting about a 5:15 finish at Cowtown. Ugh. In years past, I've projected a 4:45 and ended up at about 5:15, so I'm not thrilled with that, but I've been out of the game for two years and have an extra 10 pounds to carry from the last full race, so I'll take what I can get. At this rate, the "comeback" is just to finish and have a good time. We'll start talking time goals at Oklahoma City, and then really work toward them for New York City in the fall. This is the third year for the lottery, and I'm hoping it will be the charm. If not, I'll have to find some other big fall race to do, probably around my birthday. Trying not to plan too far ahead right now -- there's a lot of things in limbo around here.

anyhow, after that long run, I surprisingly felt really strong and good afterward. I had to go to a pinewood derby workshop with TDP DinoBoy, and then we ended up going to dinner with some friends. Sunday was hockey, laundry and hockey, but at a little more relaxed pace since I didn't have to fly out Monday morning.

I took advantage of the holiday to indoctrinate TDP DinoBoy into the world of running with his first official race. He was excited about it, even though it was cold and windy at the 10:00 am start. It was a small race benefiting a local school, around the nature trails on the north end of town. I told him we'd do intervals, just like I used to do with Elder Child, and he could run as fast as he wanted to during the running parts, but had to walk and catch his breath and regroup during the walking parts. He was awesome! Only once, about at the 2.25 mile mark, did he complain that his legs were tired, and I talked him through it until he got his second wind. We finished at 37 minutes and change, which is a full 5 minutes ahead of his big brother's 5K premiere, a fact that he rubbed in with great glee upon our return. He was of course most impressed with the post-race spread and was content to sit at the pavilion afterward basking in the atmosphere. I think he enjoyed it!

Yesterday, I did 2 mile equivalent on the elliptical, then 3 miles on the treadmill, all while watching the Biggest Loser. I was supposed to run today, but I'm having a rough day and have decided to tuck in early and hit it early tomorrow morning. It will mean another hour of work on friday, but I think I need it. Pix of the DinoBoy later, after I grab them off the video on the other computer. Peace out!

1 comment:

Just12Finish said...

I'm just catching up on blogs. Good luck at Cowtown!