Thursday, July 10, 2008

Almost "GO" time!

so, this is it.

We're checked in with the airline.
We're packed (mostly -- need to find the battery charger for the camera).
Fundraising goal, as of about 10 minutes ago, is at 100%! Wahooo!
We're loaded with BodyGlide, sunscreen, and PINK, PINK, PINK!

Those of you who know me know that I'm the original anti-pink chick. I think I've only ever owned two items of clothing that are pink, and one of them I sloshed paint on last year so it went bye-bye. The other is more of a melon-color and really more orangey-fuschia. So for me to wear pink? It's a big deal.

But, folks, this IS a big deal. I've said all along that I've been fortunate to not be directly touched by breast cancer. But, that's not true. The friends and family that have come together to support me have done so because THEY'VE been touched by breast cancer. And that affects them and in turn, it affects me. It affects us all. As we've been preparing for this, as I've done more research, and read the memorials, I've become acutely aware of how hideous this disease is. It strikes women in the prime of their lives, and it affects the heart and soul of a family, whether it steals their mothers, grandmothers, wives, sisters, or daughters. And so I will gladly and proudly wear pink, for this event, and probably afterward, too. I will continue to crusade even after the walk this weekend, after the blisters have healed, after the muscles are recovered, after the tears are dried. It's too important not to.

Peace out folks! I'm not taking the computer with me, so I won't be blogging, but I'll see you on the other side. Thanks for all your support along the way!!

No comments: