Wednesday, April 18, 2007

can't breathe

I woke up yesterday morning with a twitch in the back of my throat, but it dissipated by mid-day, and was gone completely when I was done with my run/bike ride-trial (whole separate post on that, sometime soon!), but it came back by the time I got back to my room with my dinner. I had stopped for some claritin at the drugstore across the street from the subway (yes, very glamourous eats we have on the road -- I could have gone out with the group, but chicken teriyaki sounded good and I wanted to be back in the room to get on webcam with the boys).

All was fine, except that I was very sleepy and had to fight to get through my one assignment last night before turning in. I fell asleep right away when I turned off the computer, but woke up gasping for air at about 11:30 -- I just felt like my throat was tight and I wasn't getting any air. I panicked for a minute, and for some reason decided that I needed to get out of my room. So I grabbed my key and paced the hallway for about two minutes while I struggled to get my breath back. I wasn't stuffed up nasally, it was just a weird tight feeling in my throat. I've never felt anything like that. I came back into the room and got a drink of water, but when I did, I noticed a very, very strong mold odor in my bathroom. I couldn't find it, but it's definitely there. I should have asked for a different room -- I haven't had this problem before this week in any of the other rooms I've been in while at this hotel, so I'm not sure what the deal is.

Today, I took a claritin before I went to the office, and I felt fine until about midday, then I started to get very post-nasal-drippy and weepy eyes and just generally miserable. It seemed like my earbuds from my iPod hurt my head, there was so much pressure in my sinuses. I went for a 4 mile run after work again, and it cleared my head wonderfully while i was running, but pretty much by half an hour after I got done, I was all stuffed up again. My nose is raw from being wiped all day, and I'm sure my office-mate thinks I've got serious sinus issues and am so disgusting -- I spent all day honking and snorting and blowing my nose. I've been drinking plenty -- I started out with a 24 oz bottle of water and refilled it three times during the day, plus what I had with dinner, but I'm not having any luck flushing this crap out of my system. All i can hope for is some good Texas air tomorrow night -- heck, at this point, I'll take some stale airplane air.

BTW, I'm convincing myself that it's allergies and not a cold. I haven't been sick since the week before MCM 2005, and I certainly don't have time in the schedule to be sick now. harumph.

Well, all I know is one more night and I'm home until Monday morning. I'm sleeping in my swimsuit, so there will be no excuses tomorrow morning. The plan is 25 minutes in the pool and 25 minutes on the treadmill immediately afterward. I need to go to bed now. peace out!


Vickie said...

Well hopefully it is just a short-lived allergic reaction to something. I get those from time to time, and spend the whole day or evening, like you, wiping/blowing my nose, itchy eyes, throat, sneezing, and by the next day I'm fine. Good luck on your swim/run. Sometimes it is hard going from prone in the pool to upright running, and don't be surprised if your legs feel dead at first. Its good to do short sessions that you can build on. You always know in your head then "only 25 min., 20 min., 15 min., etc." and you can get through it.

Silly Old Bear said...

Hi -

I'm trying to send you an e-mail but have the wrong address. Help!