Sunday, March 08, 2009

Recovery Week Over

So I've had a nice break from the grind of daily training after the marathon last week. I've had a chance to digest what happened, how it all went down, what went wrong, and what I could have done differently. It's done, and there were definitely lessons learned. I've recovered physically, at least it feels like I have, and I'm now more than ready to take on the training needed for OKC. I've got the schedule mapped out, and will be focusing on not only the long runs, but also on building some core strength and upper body strength. A big part of my discomfort during the race was in my back, which is completely related to the lack of core strength, so hopefully that will be motivation to keep up with planks, pushups and crunches.

I'm also focusing a little harder on paying attention to what I'm eating. Not dieting, per se, because anyone who's been around here for any amount of time knows that I'm severely anti-diet. But I have to find a balance that allows me to fuel properly for those long runs (good carbs) without falling into a routine of eating all those junk carbs. So we'll see if there are any results on performance for OKC.

So that's all there is for now. Gotta fold clothes now, and get ready for another week in the mountains.

1 comment:

iJuls said...

I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who skimps on the core strength exercises. It's so up and down for me. I just have to keep it going once the soreness kicks in. I know it makes a difference.