Tuesday, July 03, 2007

I didn't know...

going into spin class (my first ever) this morning that it would be so hard....

I didn't know quitting was an option. So even though there were at least two times that I could barely turn the pedals and yet she kept telling us to turn up the tension, and at least three times that I was literally crying because I just.couldn't.do.it, I kept going. And I finished. And at the end, she said, "For all you beginners, GREAT job! The first-timers usually get up and leave about halfway through!" Um, yeah, not that I didn't consider it, I just didn't think it would be a cool thing to do. So I stuck it out. Tenacity is my middle name, after all. How da heck do you think I get anything accomplished with this non-athletic body of mine anyway??

I will be heading down south for a couple of days -- my mom is in the hospital for blackouts. She had one Friday and another Sunday afternoon, so she's been having tests and such done. They're releasing her today, but she goes back on Friday for the results, and I want to hear from the doctor firsthand what the issues are. She had an angiogram done a few weeks ago and had been feeling better, but out of the blue, BAM, these blackouts are back. When they did some diagnostics a couple of months ago, they found evidence of a small stroke at some point, and there is just too much for me to digest from long-distance. So I go down there on Thursday. And now we know (again) why I do the things I do with this non-athletic body of mine -- to stave off genetics and the hereditary predisposition to those kinds of things. Sigh.

And then next week,there is a 70 percent chance I head to NYC for work, for at least six weeks. Which will be fine, except I got very spoiled working from home the last six weeks. Bah.

But, on the bright side, there is enough of a break in the clouds that my lawn boy is actually able to cut the jungle in the front and back yards today, but he best hurry before the rain starts again. Sigh.

OWN: 1-hour kick-my-ass-oh-my-god-I'm-going-do-die spin class, followed by 2 miles on the TM in 23:30 (recovery run, dontcha know?)


IM Able said...

Okay, so take exactly every single sentiment that you wrote about your spin class and apply it to my Sunday race and it would be exactly right.

And, you know? You FINISHED. You didn't stop when you could and you pushed that little step further. And THAT'S what matters.

And then you went for a run, for goodness sakes. Such a star!

Be proud!!

From Here to There said...

Great job on the spin class. I've never done one, but hear they are absolutely brutal! You'll see great improvement on your bike fitness apparently!

Sorry to hear about your Mom. Keeping you both in my prayers.

Regarding cheese curds. Mmmmm. Salty cheesy goodness! A Quebec specialty is poutine... french fries with cheese curds and gravy. Sounds disgusting, but is so good!

Vickie said...

Iknow what you mean about those first spin classes. But the fact that you stuck it out says more than anything about your determination. And then you ran afterwards too! That REALLY is great. Just keep at it. It takes about 4 or 5 classes to get your legs and after that, you can make it your workout. Sorry to hear about your mom. Hopefully you will figure out what's wrong. I know how those things go too.