Wednesday, November 03, 2010

Packing & prep

So, we're getting close now... and I'm REALLY glad I took tomorrow off! Besides having lunch with one of my bestest buddies tomorrow (Hi, Mel!!), I have a lot to do... like pack... and get everything lined up for the weekend. Because while I've been planning on this and preparing for the race for MONTHS now, I haven't really done a good job yet of planning preparing for the trip that comes with it!  I used to travel for work and was a master at packing a week's worth of work clothes, running clothes and lounging around at hotel/dinner out clothes into one small roll-aboard. But, that was a long time ago it seems, and I have to remind myself how to be Road Warrior chick. But, really, I'm less concerned about what that part and more worried about having everything I need for race morning/day at hand. So, here is my prep list, prompted by Erica's planning and Heather's list


1.             Pack race-morning bag (throw-away bag)
    1. Clif bar (breakfast) – bring from home
    2. Orange (breakfast) – grocery store or hotel concierge lounge
    3. PB/honey (one hour pre-race) – hotel concierge lounge
    4. Banana (one hour pre-race) – grocery store or hotel concierge lounge
    5. Bottled water – grocery store in NY
    6. Baby wipes – bring from home
    7. Hand sanitizer – bring from home
2.             Pack post-race bag for friends to take to finish line (backpack)
    1. Sweatshirt/fleece
    2. Gatorade
    3. Crocs
    4. Dry socks
    5. Protein powder
    6. Clif bar
    7. Baby wipes
    8. Brush & Hair clip/ties
3.             Pick out, wash & pack race-day clothes (lay out night before)
    1. Long yellow tank bra
    2. Yellow LS tech shirt with bib
    3. Texas flag skirt - it arrived!! YAY!
    4. Moisture-wicking underwear
    5. MCM socks & black starter socks - race-day decision which ones to use
    6. Shoes - washed & drying in garage right now
    7. Visor
    8. Gloves (cheap, if they get lost no biggie)
    9. Throw-away sweatshirt
    10. Throw-away blanket
the Skirt! It arrived!! 

4.             Pack fuel belt
    1. Camera - small Kodak, fits in extra bottle pocket
    2. iPod (to calm pre-race jitters, not using during race)
    3. Clif bloks ( 2 packs - margarita & Cran-Raz)
    4. Clif bar (1 bar)
    5. Ibuprofen
    6. Biofreeze pack
    7. Bodyglide sample
    8. Chapstick
    9. 20 oz half-water, half-Gatorade, salt 
I'll run around tomorrow morning getting everything on the list, as well as going to the mall and having a shirt made for the expo.  I'll be there at 9:00 AM Saturday morning and if all goes well, will be wearing a shirt that says this on the back, so I'll be easy to spot! 

I'll Follow You to Central Park 
if You'll Follow Me on Twitter
@txskatemom
#INGNYCM

FOUR DAYS!!! 

3 comments:

Erica Rodriguez Maier said...

How cool is THAT?! I love it!

I think your visor might cover it, but do sunglasses need to be on the list? I'll have mine on my head JIC ...

Anonymous said...

Not to be too personal, but you brought it up... what brand of undies for the moisture-wicking? I think I need to invest in some. Where do you get them?

Bryan S said...

Woo hoo! Great list, thanks for the reminders on some of that stuff. I won't be wearing a bra or skirt though ;-)