Friday, August 31, 2007

The Getting out of Town Catch Up Post

Yep, we're leaving on a jet plane. No, not really, we're taking the Vibe. Got tix for a Round Rock Express baseball game tonight (they're playing the Isotopes! Like in the Simpsons!!) and then tomorrow, after a day of cavorting around Austin, the Elder Child and Hub are going to the Longhorn game while TDP DinoBoy and I find something to do. Then we'll linger late into the morning on Sunday before heading back home Sunday PM. Should be a fun relaxing family weekend.

I ran "long" this morning at the gym -- 8 miles. I could have gone longer, but I had to get home, clean up and stop at the Verizon store for a new phone before picking up the boy at noon. My old one was kaput and while it still rang, I could make calls and receive text messages, the screen was totally black so I couldn't see who was calling, who I was trying to call, or read said messages. Except if I held it at just the right angle in bright enough light, I could barely make out enough the characters to see the list of previous calls. The sad part is that they were not able to save my data, so I lost all my phone numbers and my ringtones (Jurassic Park for the boys, "Pop Goes My Heart" for Hub and generic for everyone else!) and my photos of kitty. So sad. But at least the warranty was still good so it didn't cost me anything.

What else? Hmm. Ran 3 miles in Central Park Wednesday PM, 4 miles on the treadmill at the apartment Thursday and then the 8 today. When I was done, an older man walked up to me and said he'd noticed me racking up the miles. I did 5 miles on one TM, then took a short break to refill the water bottle, chat with Hub who was on the elliptical, and find a machine that had better audio so I could watch Rachel Ray without hearing static. Then I did the last three. He said he was impressed with my stamina, and more impressed that I wasn't even breathing hard when I got off the machine. He asked if I was training for a marathon (despite the fact that I had my White Rock 2006 technical shirt on) and wished me luck. He was so nice and his stopping to tell me that my work had been noticed was a very touching gesture. It made me feel good about putting out the effort to get my run in before the fun this weekend. I kinda felt bad that I bailed on the last 6 that I *should* have done....

No comments: