Friday, February 11, 2011

Friday Five - the Kind of Freak Out Edition

  1. Cowtown is only 15 days away. OK, technically 16 but really, at this point, it doesn't matter. It's CLOSE!! Got one last 20-miler tomorrow, the supported training run that was postponed last week because of Snowmaggedon It. So I haven't done my last long run yet. So I am a little concerned (freaking out) about it. The knee was tricky, tricky, tricky on the treadmill last Saturday, so I am going to wear the brace & hope it holds up (and try not to freak out about it). No, I haven't made time to get to the sports doc for it yet. I know, I know... 
  2. I ordered new shoes. Saucony Kinvaras. They're awesome, nice & cushy, and I think they will work well for me. I am less concerned with the heel drop than I was initially, because after the last two long runs I really am over the hot spots/pain/pressure on the ball of my foot after 15 miles and am ready for the cushioning that these have. But... they have to go back. We screwed up on the conversion from women's sizing to men's sizing and while these fit for daily wear around town, they don't have enough room in them for any serious miles. Unless I want to lose my toenails. And I kinda like my toenails. So they are going back and another pair a size larger is coming to replace them. Hopefully in time for next week's  halfway-long run (so I can wear them and not have to, you know, freak out about them). Yes, I know. A potentially dangerous situation is looming here with shoes not tried out on long runs... I know, I know... 
  3. Really very much over the cold weather. We had another snow day here, although the roads were actually fairly decent once the sun came out. I love my children and I love my husband. But, these boys throw off my groove when they intrude on my space. Imagine hauling your entire family to work with you every day and that's what it's like for me when they are out of school and work. In my grill all... day... long... "What time is lunch?" "What's for lunch?" "What's for dinner?" "What are we doing today?" Kill me now. 
  4. I'm getting very excited for the next race after Cowtown, the Grasslands trail marathon. It's put on by North Texas Trail Runners and it will be my Marathon Maniacs qualifier. Yes, I will continue to do full + distances in April,  May & June to get the next level up, but after Grasslands, it will be official. So there's that. Plus, thanks to the greatness of Twitterpressure, we have a GREAT group of awesome runner peeps going to be out there to run it or volunteer.  Yes, they're all faster than me, by much. But, there is just something special about racing with friends!! 
  5. It's almost Valentine's Day. I think we are doing a preemptive strike and going to dinner tonight in an effort to avoid the crowds. Or at least that's what I heard from that dude that shares my bed while we were getting ready for the day this morning. Valentine's Day is different when you've been married for 16 years. Actually, recently we've tried to put a bigger emphasis on making each other feel special and appreciated every day, not just on days like Valentine's Day or birthdays or anniversaries. But, that doesn't mean we can't take advantage of the pre-marketed hooha & do something nice on this weekend, too. What does Valentine's Day look like at your house? 

I get these from my sweetie all the time, just because he knows I heart them.
Don't wait for Valentine's Day to do something nice. 

No comments: