Sunday, August 30, 2009

It's a Proven Fact

that I blog more when a) I have two seconds to rub together, and b) I have my Garmin handy to give me data and feedback on my running. Without the empirical data, I feel like I don't have anything to say about my activity, and since it's been AWOL for so long, and things have been covered in crazy around here, the blogging has been near-to-non-existent. Hopefully since we uncovered the Garmin deep in the center console of the Pontiac and have cut out the weekly airplane commute I will have more to say around here.

Today ended up being a good run of 7.5 miles, with a little more on the end to walk it off and cool down before reaching the front door. I didn't have any goals for today's run except to go longer than I did last week, which was 5.75. I still haven't isolated a goal race for the fall, although I'm thinking hard about it. But I want to be prepared in case the goal race ends up being an early spring marathon, so I need to be pumping up the mileage just as a preemptive strike. Also, I know I want to do the Love the Half series again and those are starting up soon, so I need to work my way back to that distance at a minimum.

Anyway, today's run was an easy effort, with the intention as I said to go only a little longer than last week. I am going to have to get used to the streets around the house again, since that is going to be my playground from here on out. No more runs in Boulder, or Denver, or any other place. So I took the long loop north and west of my house. It hits two parks on the way, so i had a chance to stop for water and didn't have to carry my own. The Elder Child and hubby left at 6:45 for a Scout event, and TDP DinoBoy is with his godmother, so I really had the morning and wasn't in too much of a rush to get out the door except to beat the sun, which I knew was going to be relentless this morning without any clouds for respite. I left a little after 7:00 so it was light out but still mostly cool in the shade.

I had the Garmin and the iPod, but I tried not to pay attention to the timings of my laps. Tried, but failed. I know there's a lot going on that would make my overall times slower (hello, 170s...) but it's still tough to see 10:40s and 10:45s on the Garmin when I used to see 10:15 and on occasion even 10:05 for longer runs. But I'm not going to worry about it, really. I'm going to just get the distances done for the meanwhile, and focus on nutrition and on the other program that we've started (the other program, with Shaun T, who made me cry yesterday morning when my glutes seized up every time I tried to stand up), and let my fitness grow through the fall. I'm thinking my times will speed up naturally if I start dropping weight using these intervals.

anyhoo, splits from today are below for posterity. Not sure what happened there at Mile 6 -- I had to wait at a light forever, so I'm thinking the autopause didn't engage, or I have no idea. There's no reason that lap should be so glacial when the rest are more or less averaging about a 10:45. Eh, no worries, right?

Mile 1: 10:42
Mile 2: 10:54
Mile 3: 10:44
Mile 4: 10:22
Mile 5: 11:07 - uphill climb here, plus I slowed down to talk to some cyclists
Mile 6: 10:48
Mile 7: 11:54 - wtf?
Mile .5: 5:22 (10:45 pace)

No comments: