Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Wellness Wednesday

As part of my employer's human resources benefits, we have a very robust Wellness Gold program available to us. It encompasses six aspects of Wellness, beyond the usual physical & mental components typical of such things. The six dimensions include:

Physical
Occupational
Spiritual
Emotional
Social
Intellectual

There are lists of tasks for each component that we are asked to complete, along with journaling, self-assessments and reflections. I thought it would be fun to share some of those observations and exercises here. 

The task I've chosen to highlight today falls under the Emotional Wellness category. I was to consider a time I've needed help, asked for help, and received help. 

This is easy for me, as if you know me at all, you know that I'm about 2 degrees removed from being a hot mess. Luckily. I have been blessed with an amazing network of friends who would walk through fire for me, no questions asked, so I have resources readily available when I need help. Sometimes that help is just a confirmation that my initial response to a problem is on target, or sometimes I need true troubleshooting and advice on a course of action. And most often, I just need encouragement and a kind word, and a reminder that things will work out. 

I have many friends that I can count on for this, but the two that come to mind most readily are Marci & MK.  They are always available, without judgement, to listen, to reason with me, to tell me what I know but am too frazzled to remember. And once in a while, when warranted, they smack me (figuratively) upside the head and tell me to get a grip. Not only that, but they do it with a smile and a sense of humor that never fails to not only help me with the crisis du jour but put a smile on my face. 

For that, I am grateful. And I hope that I am even half as beneficial to them when they need the same as they are to me. 




Who do you call when you need help? 

No comments: