Thursday, October 31, 2013

Thursday 13: The Music Edition

Happy Halloween! Hope the Great Pumpkin brings you lots of treats and maybe a few fun tricks, nothing too awful!

One of the things I used to do a lot in this space was my Thursday 13, where I would basically verbally vomit scattershot observations, comments and other random things, with the only common thread being that there were 13 of them. Mostly 13. Sometimes I forgot how to count.

I would like to continue that in the revived blog, but today I think I'm going to put a different spin on it and use my Thursday list to power-rank something. One of the things we like to do in the car on trips is make lists.  It keeps the conversation going and we learn new things about the people in our lives that way.  On a recent trip with the Elder Child, we set out to list the five bands that we would be happy with listening to for the rest of our lives. And we would have to be REALLY happy with them, because we would never be able to listen to anyone but those five again in the history of ever. There were some instant choices that were easy-peasy, lemon-squeezy to make, and others that were tougher. So I've decided to expand on that (and in the process make the task easier, because I have EIGHT more choices!) and give you my Top 13 Favorite Bands/Artists.

So, in no particular order, are the 13 artists that I would choose if I had to listen exclusively to them for the rest of my life:

Eagles
Van Morrison
Rick Springfield
Tom Petty/Traveling Wilburys
John Mellencamp
Foo Fighters
Pink Floyd
Mumford & Sons
U2
Dire Straits/Marc Knopfler
Roxy Music/Bryan Ferry
Led Zeppelin
Blue October

Yes, I'm old. Yes, I'm stuck in 1981. Sorry, can't be helped. For the most part, this is the stuff I grew up listening to, and this is the stuff that resonates with me. And this is the stuff that makes me turn up the radio, little by little with each passing song, until I am blaring the stereo out of my open sunroof and annoying the neighbors as I pull into the driveway. Whoops.

(and, yes, I realize I'm leaving out oh so much from the 1980s, but most of those acts were one-hit-wonders, and as much as I loves me some 80s, I don't think I really could listen to 99 Luftballoons for the rest of eternity. Sorry Nena!)


No comments: