Thursday, July 02, 2009

Now what?

So, I was able to complete the June running streak. Ended up with 102 miles for the month, which is more than I've done since February, which was the marathon month, and January, which was the long-run lead-up to the marathon. I'm on the home laptop, so I don't have my stats for the first six months of the year handy, but will post those as soon as I can. I'm doing pretty well, esp compared with last year's dismal performances overall -- I was very disappointed in my mileage for the year last year.

But now what? I didn't come up with July streak idea in time for yesterday, so I took it as a very-much-needed rest day. And today wasn't much better, so for the first time in a very long time (three months? four?), I've gone two consecutive days without any kind of physical exertion at all. And I've had ice cream on both of those days, too. Talk about falling off the wagon. But I'm just extraordinarily unmotivated right now. Doing a swim streak doesn't seem to make sense to me since I would be doing a whole lot of flailing. I *thought* I was a pretty decent swimmer (for someone who didn't know how to swim six months prior) before Danskin two years ago, but after the flipout in the lake, I realize how much I don't know about swimming. I know I suck on the bicycle, but could get better with more miles in the saddle. Tough to do that without a bicycle, though. I know, wah, wah, what a sad story. I know, suck it up and deal and get in the water already. Yeah, I know what I need to do. I'm just having a hard time making it happen. Which is stupid, since making it happen is my specialty. It may not be pretty in the end, but I do make it happen. So what's the problem? If I only knew, and if it could only be solved by hitting the streets, or jumping in the water, or climbing aboard a trusty bicycle. Maybe it can be... and I just need to do it.

Anyway.... got a longish weekend with the boys planned, but not as long as we'd wanted. We'll need to make the most of it, though, and hope that it's good enough to spend some time together and have a couple of days' worth of fun. And maybe by the end of it, I'll have figured out what I need to do to get motivated again for the next big thing, whatever that might be....

Remember to raise the flag this weekend, and celebrate the greatness of the USA. Happy Fourth, folks!! Be safe and enjoy!

No comments: