Sunday, June 07, 2009

Week One Down

June streaking is going well so far. Only one day where I had trouble fitting it into the day, and that was yesterday when we started out the morning with a stint at the lake for clean-up day with TDP DinoBoy. We had to head out pretty early, so unless I was up at 5:00 to get the run in, I'd have to postpone it to later in the day. The cleanup itself ended up being quite a workout since there was a lot of crouching in the undergrowth alone the shore picking up bottles, styrofoam and cigarette lighters that ended up on the island in the middle of the lake. Such a shame that so much junk ends up there --anything that goes down the storm drains ends up on the shore of that lake. So, here's my PSA for the day: No more styrofoam! No more plastic bottles! No more! I know a couple of hours picking that stuff up will make us both think twice about using either of those things.

Anyway, after that, we went to visit an aunt on the south end of town who was having a garage sale. It was actually a pretty pleasant morning, so we sat outside on her driveway for a while and caught up on things. Then it was home for lunch, some reading and a nap in the heat of the day before heading to hockey. Then dinner and waiting for the sun to go down. There is a balance here in Texas about how dark it has to get to be cool enough to run outside vs. how dark it is before it's not really safe to run outside. You basically have a window of about half an hour in that gloaming period. So I waited for that and headed out for a quick dash around the neighborhood. I didn't make it for a full three miles, but I at least did the minimum of two, so I was happy with it. And it reminded me that I have to be up early to hit the road while I'm home, or else be prepared to go to the gym and hit the treadmill. I was reminded of that again today, when I slept in until 7:00 and wasn't ready to hit the streets until 7:30. By the time I got done with 5-plus miles, it was steaming hot and the sun was blazing pretty intensely. so, yeah, I've got to get up early now that it's summer. That, or melt into a little puddle on the sidewalk!

So, there's week one in the books. Let's see how week two goes!

No comments: