Friday, March 16, 2012

Friday Five: The Race Edition

So, I know I said I didn't really have anything planned after Oklahoma.  That's a lie, because I did sign up for El Scorcho Sin Lun 6 (or rather, more accurately, La Scorchita - I ain't all crazy).  Of course, that race registration was less of a function of having a long-term plan for what my running will look like come July than a need to not miss the biggest dang Frunner Party of the year. Party in the Park, y'all. That sucker sold out in a week and I sure as heck was not going to be left out. 

So, what races *AM* I committed to (the word choice of "committed" is not an accident, friends and neighbors!)?  Well, just so happens that there are FIVE races that I am definitely doing in the next couple of months, in between business travel to Tennessee, getting through kids' spring performances for band, theatre and such, moving my mom out of her house and getting her settled up here and all that life stuff.  And it's FRIDAY, so I thought, hey, lookie there, a FRIDAY FIVE!! Must Blog! sweet!

So, if you'll be at any of these, holler at me in the comments so I know to look for you, and for sure you are REQUIRED to come find me so we can take a pre-race pic. Just 'cause I'm halfway in hiding online doesn't mean I don't want to see folks in person!! And I'm generally fairly easy to find, in that I'm usually wearing burnt orange of some kind, carrying a camera, and probably making a lot of noise.

FRUNNERS!! Party in the Park with Frunners!
5.  Grasslands Half.  People bitched about the heat. People bitched about the sand. People bitched that it's so far out west you run into tumbleweeds (OK, that was just me) on the way there. But, you know what?  I really kinda sorta enjoyed this one, even though it is hands down my slowest marathon time ever. It was my Maniacs Qualifier, and there are so many trail Frunners out running, volunteering and such, that I have a hard time missing out (sense a theme here??). And, I think I'll like it even more when I only have to do half!! 

What, this doesn't look like fun to you? 
4.  Dallas Rock & Roll Half. My cousin turns 40 this weekend. She freaked out about it a few months ago and decided to take control of her exercise and nutrition and set a goal to run a half marathon. So this is the one she chose. I had always sworn I wouldn't do an RnR event because they are kinda pricey, but seriously, I've had intense medal envy with this one in the past.  Also, I love to do anything to support and encourage a new runner. So I will be running with  my cousin on this one. I foresee good times ahead (and a pretty, pretty shiny thing to boot!).

3.  Texas Independence Relay. 11 women, 2 vans, 201 miles. Buc-ee's along the way. Really, what more do you need to know?
It's TEXAS, y'all!! (Why is Cap'n Libby missing from every group pic I have?)
2.  Big D Half Marathon. This will be my last event to earn the Mellew Four Seasons bling and shirt. Because I'm all about the bling and the shirt. Haven't done the half here since 2005, so it's been a while, but I recently will have done a couple of races starting/ending from Fair Park by the time this rolls around. Will be interesting to get a gauge of where I am speed-wise by that point in time, too. Mostly, though, it's about the streak, and the hardware, and  so I don't ever, ever, ever have to do Hottest Half ever again in my whole life, as long as we both shall live, AMEN. 

Hottest Half Hardware. Got it. NEVER AGAIN! 
1.  Oklahoma City Memorial Half.  Never run the half here, having done the full two years in a row. Looking forward to skipping what I think are the toughest sections of the course: Gorilla Hill, the rollers leading up to the relay exchange at mile 8, and the wind off that lake, plus that overpass just after the lake. Very very much looking forward to being at Mile 23 when Marci comes charging through and at the end when she gets her much-earned and anticipated finisher shirt. We've got a party room at the Marriott again, and fully expect to have a crowd join us in the white limo for the two-block ride to Bricktown for dinner the night before. You know you want to be there too. 

DO NOT TAKE OFF THE PONCHO! #thatisall
Pile in, there's plenty of room! 
So, there you go. The running schedule for the runner who isn't running. Funny how that works out! See you at the starting line! 

3 comments:

That Pink Girl said...

I'm not racing any of these but I'm thinking about going to OKC to spectate maybe and I can be at Big D to holler my head off! I'm still on the fence about El Scorcho. I SWORE no long distance running this summer it I kind of feel like I have a score to settle with that 50K.
Good luck in ALL you races!

Anonymous said...

I'll be at El Scorcho, RnR, Big D, TIR in your van!, and maaaaaaaybe OKC. So pretty much, you aren't getting away from me. ;-)

LifeisaRun said...

We are running Rock 'n' Roll Dallas AND we are pretty sure we'll sign up for Big D half if we still can....